Finding an Au Pair can be very easy through online platforms like Aupair.com or local agencies who take care of the process. However, while looking for the perfect person to take care of your children you might want to put some effort into the interviewing process.
What to ask during the Au Pair Interview?
Either if you are with an agency or decided to look for an Au Pair on your own, asking the right questions during the interview is the key to a successful experience. During the first video call, you should try to get to know your future Au Pair. Everything should be as relaxed as possible, keep in mind the person you are talking to is nervous and excited about this amazing opportunity.
Some questions you can ask during this first online meeting are:
- What do you like to do in your free time?
- Why do you want to become an Au Pair and why did you choose our country?
- Could you please describe your experience in childcare? (How many kids have you taken care of? How old were they?)
- What do you think is the most challenging part of taking care of children?
- Have you ever lived in another country or traveled on your own?
- Ask him/her about her family
- Do you consider yourself independent?
During the first call, it is also very important that you describe your family and your lifestyle. Tell your future Au Pair about your hobbies, the daily routine and what you expect from the experience.
The second interview can be much more about the Au Pair job. That means you can focus on all the aspects related to the schedule, contract, and your family’s needs. Some of the most important questions are:
- How do you deal with a child that misbehaves?
- Do you agree with our family’s daily routine/schedule?
- Are you willing to take on some household duties?
- Can you drive?
- Have you checked the visa requirements? Are you eligible?
- Are you willing to help our children with their homework?
Do not forget to make your agreement official with the Au Pair contract.After the interviews, you can make your decision and let your future Au Pair know that he/she is the one! You can start your search for an Au Pair for free at Aupair.com.